Everything You Need to Know About American Law

Open Preview

Run across a Problem?

We'd dear your help. Allow united states know what's incorrect with this preview of Law 101 by Jay M. Feinman.

Thanks for telling us about the problem.

Friend Reviews

To run across what your friends thought of this volume, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To enquire other readers questions nigh Constabulary 101, delight sign up.
Popular Answered Questions
Nyjmah Abdullah If you are the accused and yous know that the gauge is non fair , from pass
feel. How exercise yous communicate to the judge he/she did not employ
good j…more
If you are the defendant and you know that the guess is not off-white , from pass
experience. How do yous communicate to the judge he/she did not use
good judgement or that he/she did not wiegh in all the evidence?(less)

Community Reviews

 · 1,059 ratings  · 75 reviews
Start your review of Law 101: Everything You lot Need to Know about the American Legal Organisation
Sharon
Police force 101, by Jay Feinman, is a practical and indispensable guide for general readers. The volume enables citizens who are non lawyers to empathize the basics of U.S. federal and country Ramble police, our criminal and civil justice organization, and other aspects of our judicial arrangement that impact our lives, direct and indirectly. By providing the historical context for the U.S. legislative, executive, and judicial organisation, the author helps readers empathise the increasingly complex and controversi Police force 101, by Jay Feinman, is a applied and indispensable guide for general readers. The book enables citizens who are not lawyers to understand the basics of U.S. federal and state Constitutional law, our criminal and civil justice system, and other aspects of our judicial system that impact our lives, directly and indirectly. Past providing the historical context for the U.Southward. legislative, executive, and judicial organisation, the author helps readers understand the increasingly complex and controversial issues of the day (and of the by). The author does not accept stances on controversial issues. Rather, Feinman provides background that can help lay readers follow legal and policy decisions in the news and develop informed opinions based on reason, not emotion or political partisanship. Law 101 volition be especially helpful to people who feel that listening to pundits shouting at each other on broadcast news is not productive or informative. In curt, this is a useful, unbiased resource, best read with a copy of The Constitution of the United States at hand, for easy reference. ...more
Erik
November 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
As an introductory text to the American justice system, Feinman's 2000 book has no equal – at to the lowest degree this far into my preliminary enquiry as I gear myself up for constabulary school in less than 2 years' time. Not only is he judicious in his explanations, but he too doesn't shy away from the more complicated theoretical matters upon which our fundamental rights are based. For example, when he discusses the nuances of how our Commencement Amendment rights have been interpreted over the course of two centuries As an introductory text to the American justice system, Feinman'due south 2000 book has no equal – at least this far into my preliminary research equally I gear myself up for law school in less than two years' fourth dimension. Not merely is he judicious in his explanations, but he too doesn't shy abroad from the more complicated theoretical matters upon which our fundamental rights are based. For example, when he discusses the nuances of how our Beginning Amendment rights accept been interpreted over the grade of two centuries' worth of judicial review, Callahan is brilliantly succinct.

"A outset principle is that religion is a realm of voluntary choice…A second principle is that faith and government are two dissever spheres…A 3rd principle is that government should be neutral as to faith. It should not favor or disfavor i religion over another, nor should it give preferences to religious activities over nonreligious activities, or vice versa."

Although the dazzler of these ideas is clear – commonly to as the establishment and free exercise clauses – it is nevertheless odd, and even disturbing, that so many religiously minded Americans choose to ignore them in their cocky-righteous desire to shove their personal interpretations of the divine down our collective throats. (Did you read about how many Christian Scientists accept been advocating a pay-for-prayer portion to exist added to the current health intendance bill? If it wasn't so bizarrely true, I would actually be laughing at the hilarity of it.)

Feinman also goes deep into the heart of how politics is not meant to permanently interfere with our bones rights when he discusses the cases that come to the Supreme Court, as did Roe vs. Wade.

"The will of a temporary bulk, the sentiments of the moment, a vote in the legislature, cannot upset basic constitutional guarantees. In determining the content of those guarantees, though, the Court is non complimentary to ignore the sentiment of the moment; the Court's view of what rights are primal tin be shaped past the temperament of the times as to what rights are key."

A carefully constructed fulcrum is established and balanced here.

Feinman's 330-folio "introductory form" is top-notch. Reading it takes less than a tenth the fourth dimension of actually sitting in on an 101 Law course, and without being either interrogated Socratic-style by a persistent law professor, or having to study like mad for that annoying final test that will determine your entire grade. At present that's a bargain.

...more than
Karen
Sep 26, 2019 rated it actually liked it
I accept read parts of this book, picking and choosing the topics several times over the years. I finally read it through. I am very interested in Constitutional, tort and contract constabulary. I often skip over Holding and Criminal law. My interests haven't changed, but I practise feel that I have a flake more of a broader view than before. It is a very brief summary of most of the areas of the law, at least areas that are taught in police school, I believe (I take never attended Law Schoolhouse, only wished I had). I I have read parts of this volume, picking and choosing the topics several times over the years. I finally read it through. I am very interested in Constitutional, tort and contract law. I often skip over Property and Criminal police force. My interests oasis't changed, but I practise feel that I have a bit more of a broader view than earlier. Information technology is a very cursory summary of most of the areas of the constabulary, at least areas that are taught in police school, I believe (I accept never attended Law Schoolhouse, merely wished I had). I took my time reading, something like half-dozen weeks, and it is only 360 pages. I am glad for the overview, and I retrieve I will be reading again.

Anyway, I enjoyed it.

...more
Cornelio
Peradventure I should go to police force schoolhouse.

This book read like a folio turner, which either means the author did a practiced job, or that it'south a subject I beloved. In this case, definitely both. Feinman structures this volume to exist a expert one volume intro to police, covering the major topics that a 1st year law student would tackle. His explanations and expert historical examples make law less some abstract, technical, unfeeling entity, and reveal its imperfect humanness, beauty and warts and in between.

Peradventure I should get to police force schoolhouse.

This book read like a page turner, which either means the author did a skilful job, or that it's a subject area I love. In this case, definitely both. Feinman structures this book to be a good ane book intro to law, covering the major topics that a 1st twelvemonth law student would tackle. His explanations and good historical examples make law less some abstruse, technical, unfeeling entity, and reveal its imperfect humanness, beauty and warts and in between.

...more than
Josh
Very interesting introduction to topics one would come across in the offset aye of constabulary school.
Kim
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was astonishing
This book shouldn't accept taken me a month to read. It was engaging, interesting and insightful. However, I was so intent on absorbing every piece of information and memorising every legal term (I failed utterly) that I would put the book down whenever my concentration slipped a bit (which was well-nigh all the time). On the whole, this volume'south catch is that it makes the subject field of law really, really the opposite of boring. And that's a really big deal. This book shouldn't have taken me a month to read. It was engaging, interesting and insightful. Even so, I was and then intent on absorbing every piece of data and memorising every legal term (I failed utterly) that I would put the book down whenever my concentration slipped a scrap (which was nearly all the fourth dimension). On the whole, this book's catch is that it makes the discipline of constabulary actually, actually the opposite of boring. And that'south a really big deal. ...more than
Jacob Kuckkahn
Personal Response: I really wanted to read an exciting book about police ,and it'due south enforcement; However, I found this book relatively deadening. It consistently used and reused subjects that the book has already listed to create more content in a book that should actually be a textbook for law schools. All the same, equally much every bit it is boring, it does accept a bit of humor and sarcasm that is hands identifiable; As far as my understanding goes that makes Police force 101 a lot more enjoyable than reading a sectioned book Personal Response: I actually wanted to read an exciting volume nearly police force ,and it'south enforcement; Even so, I constitute this book relatively boring. Information technology consistently used and reused subjects that the book has already listed to create more content in a book that should really be a textbook for police schools. Nevertheless, as much as it is slow, it does have a bit of sense of humor and sarcasm that is hands identifiable; As far as my understanding goes that makes Police 101 a lot more enjoyable than reading a sectioned book of rules. As a resource for understanding the constabulary, this book is pinnacle-notch at teaching y'all. It goes at a steady pace ,so you have time and examples to learn what this new law affair y'all've simply read about is.

Plot: As Law 101 is a resource for understanding the law, it has no plot; On the otherhand, this book clearly lists real world events on the subject it presents you lot. Law 101 is an informative book, it has no story.

Recommendation: I would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the law ,and would highly suggest it to aspiring students of the law. Police force 101 makes reading about constabulary ,statutes ,and even the constitution equally enjoyable as I believe it can be.

...more
Keith
Apr 29, 2010 rated it actually liked it
I finished reading this book final calendar month and it was a very compelling read, if a bit dry. Understanding the U.Due south. legal organisation is increasingly important as we await at what new policies our land and federal governments are enacting, and to avoid responding out of rhetoric instead of a factual knowledge nearly the police.

While this book will certainly not make anyone a lawyer, it does provide a adequately solid foundation of the diverse components of law and it'due south application. Every bit such, it makes for an educa

I finished reading this book last calendar month and it was a very compelling read, if a flake dry. Understanding the U.S. legal system is increasingly important as we await at what new policies our state and federal governments are enacting, and to avoid responding out of rhetoric instead of a factual knowledge about the law.

While this book will certainly not make anyone a lawyer, it does provide a fairly solid foundation of the various components of law and it's application. Every bit such, information technology makes for an educational read before tackling more than detailed legal texts.

...more
Mike Cheng
Apr 28, 2021 rated it actually liked it
Professor Jay Feinman (Rutgers) summarizes the courses taken by most police force students during their 1L twelvemonth: Constitutional Law, Civil Procedure, Tort Police, Contract Law, Property Police force, Criminal Law, and Criminal Procedure. 1 other great thing most this volume is that it not only provides a high level elucidation of the black letter law to the layman, but also gives historical context and the balancing of interests (i.e., what nosotros equally a society have deemed important in terms of values, politics, and eco Professor Jay Feinman (Rutgers) summarizes the courses taken by well-nigh law students during their 1L twelvemonth: Constitutional Police, Civil Procedure, Tort Law, Contract Police force, Property Law, Criminal Police force, and Criminal Procedure. Ane other great affair most this book is that it not simply provides a high level elucidation of the black letter police to the layman, but also gives historical context and the balancing of interests (i.eastward., what we as a lodge have deemed of import in terms of values, politics, and economics). Professor Feinman also reminds united states that the police force, like life, is complicated because on the one hand we want to have clear legal rules to ensure consistency, fairness, and predictability, yet on the other we want to make room for individual cases where the application of a rule would produce an unfair upshot.
In club to achieve things equally a society that we can't do individually (east.g., having a military) nosotros accept established a government (for which we've implicitly agreed to pool our resources) to act on our behalf to accomplish those tasks - to that end the government must be potent and have the power to revenue enhancement united states to pay for what information technology does - just how do we ensure that the government doesn't become too strong, unreasonable, or tax usa beyond our means? One way to bank check the power of authorities is to make it a democratic ane, and then Constitutional Law seeks to protect the integrity of that democratic procedure.
As for Civil Procedure (i.e., the rules for litigation), before decrying such equally lengthy, cumbersome, and costly, consider what happens in subcultures where litigation is unavailable or elementary (often resulting in violence and/or social instability) and and then consider what nosotros equally a society value: a fair procedural system that gives citizens their "mean solar day in court" where the parties have the opportunity to fairly develop the facts and police force in back up of their cases, present the relevant facts and arguments to an impartial judge and jury in a mode that balances comprehensiveness with efficiency - which is no piece of cake chore.
Tort Law provides a organisation that allows private persons / entities to directly seek redress for their injuries while also providing incentives for private persons / entities to take the lead (i.due east., have agency) in implementing policies and behaviors that prevent such injuries. Where equally Tort Law deals with the past (i.e., putting the injured party to a comparable position before the harm occurred), Contract Police force deals with the future: In our guild and market economy, the contracting process is well-nigh the autonomy of each private to decide whether to enter into a contract; Contract Law not only recognizes such autonomy but also offers a mechanism to piece of work out problems that ascend during or subsequently performance (or lack thereof). Property Law, and a organisation of private belongings, is also in consonance with our founding philosophy equally individual ownership of property encourages productive action and protects political freedom, because citizens who have economic independence practice not need to rely on the government and will be more able to speak freely without fear of reprisal. (Thomas Jefferson: "Dependence begets subservience and venality.") The function of Property Law is to provide people with security in knowing that their belongings will be protected (as opposed to it being vulnerable to theft / robbery past animate being force) and by creating a system in which holding tin exist transferred to those who will utilize information technology most effectively.
Contrary to pop conventionalities, Criminal Law (my favorite 1L subject) is non about wrongs committed against the individual (meet Tort Law, supra), merely rather about wrongs committed against the State - put some other mode, the State has determined what behaviors / actions are contrary to the public good, and can punish that behavior even if the private victim doesn't care. In considering why nosotros have Criminal Police, the existent question is the purpose of criminal penalisation: is it utilitarian and then as to benefit guild by prevention (either by deterrence or by removing a bad actor from the rest of the states); or is it retributivist (punishment for the sake of justice).
Finally, one important aspect of Criminal Procedure is what rules and requirements police, prosecutors, and judges must follow. In the criminal justice organisation the government brings its power to conduct against the private. The rights of the individual are paramount in our society, and so a criminal sanction may only exist imposed after a process that respects those rights, fifty-fifty if the process is slow, cumbersome, and likely to err on the side of the individual (which necessarily means that some guilty persons will be gear up free). Opponents to such a philosophy of criminal justice can reasonably disagree, just an apt question posited by Professor Feinman is this: exercise you lot want Criminal Procedure to look more similar an assembly line or an obstacle course? Awesome book. Wish I read it more than advisedly xviii years agone.
...more
Ryan
This is probably the best general-interest summary of the US legal system that I've found so far. Does a wide overview of the major areas (tort, civil procedure, criminal law, etc.) while besides presenting them in a structured style and introducing general concepts and ways of thinking applicable across domains. Does a slap-up job of presenting examples and guiding to reader to see how they could exist addressed in multiple ways, and inviting the reader to think well-nigh why the law is the style it is, rathe This is probably the best full general-involvement summary of the The states legal organisation that I've found so far. Does a broad overview of the major areas (tort, ceremonious procedure, criminal police force, etc.) while also presenting them in a structured mode and introducing general concepts and ways of thinking applicative beyond domains. Does a groovy chore of presenting examples and guiding to reader to run across how they could be addressed in multiple ways, and inviting the reader to retrieve about why the law is the way it is, rather than only memorizing existing rules. I wish at that place were other books in this serial which went more in depth into the various domains (since I'm unlikely to get to police schoolhouse myself.) ...more than
Steve
This book gives a systematic, basic review of American law. It covers Constitutional Police force, Criminal Police, Tort Law...and cites relevant cases and concepts. If you are thinking most the field of law equally a career, or only want to understand some of what is going on around you in the realm of constabulary, this is a good place to start.

It may take some patience and a quiet identify to read. Don't read it fast either. You'll get more out of information technology if you read it as if a grade depended on it. In fact I would say it is

This book gives a systematic, basic review of American constabulary. It covers Constitutional Police, Criminal Constabulary, Tort Law...and cites relevant cases and concepts. If you are thinking about the field of constabulary equally a career, or only desire to understand some of what is going on around y'all in the realm of law, this is a good place to start.

Information technology may take some patience and a quiet place to read. Don't read it fast either. You lot'll get more out of information technology if you read it as if a grade depended on information technology. In fact I would say information technology is worth reading twice, once in overview, one time like a student.

...more
Ethan
Mar 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
The good: A great overview of several main areas of the American legal system. The question-and-respond format and readable vernacular helps it to not come across as a textbook. I'll definitely have to read this for a refresher before my 1L yr of police force school.
The bad: Property law chapters are a snooze and may actually go too far into the weeds. I think the book could have been longer and included more important cases and terminology, but I understand the author had to residue accessibility.
The expert: A bang-up overview of several primary areas of the American legal organization. The question-and-answer format and readable vernacular helps information technology to non come up across equally a textbook. I'll definitely accept to read this for a refresher before my 1L year of law schoolhouse.
The bad: Property constabulary chapters are a snooze and may actually go too far into the weeds. I recollect the volume could accept been longer and included more than important cases and terminology, but I understand the author had to residual accessibility.
...more
Leah Shannon
God this book was irksome. A proficient insight on how ridiculous US police force is. I am begging more than practical, thoughtful, people-minded lawyers to please go into policy and make meaningful changes that improve these systems.

I really hated how information technology presented US law as completely neutral and separate from its white supremacist "by" - No, Jay. That racism is alive and well in courts across the country and the justice system is not the neutral party you lot make information technology out to exist.

Babs
I wish this was recommended as summertime reading before I started law schoolhouse. The book lays out what certain areas of the law are (civ pro) and why they are necessary (which would help me understand why offset years have to study them. The book goes a long way to demystifying THE LAW but don't think you lot can read and represent yourself. I wish this was recommended every bit summer reading earlier I started police school. The book lays out what certain areas of the law are (civ pro) and why they are necessary (which would help me understand why starting time years have to written report them. The volume goes a long style to demystifying THE LAW but don't think yous can read and represent yourself. ...more
Jason Walz
Immensely readable and easily understood basic introduction to the American legal organisation. The volume was logical and methodological and well structured but nonetheless read as a friendly narrative rather than a textbook. I do wish there were footnotes that would delve deeply into the cited cases. Simply, failing that, at that place us an all-encompassing index of cases at the end of the book.
Allyson Vasilopulos
This took me a lot longer than I would care to admit, partially considering I merely read it when I could discover the time, but also considering I wanted to truly learn the concepts in this volume. While it's not my favorite thing I've ever read, information technology was an excellent summary of many of the topics that I will encounter in my commencement year of law school. This took me a lot longer than I would care to admit, partially because I only read it when I could find the fourth dimension, but too because I wanted to truly learn the concepts in this book. While it's not my favorite thing I've ever read, it was an excellent summary of many of the topics that I will encounter in my first yr of law school. ...more
Yousuf Hafuda
Jan 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
Good volume with a peachy overview of the legal system. Focused more than on addressing the chief intellectual bug or areas of contention as well as the principles that underlie various categories of law. This is non a comprehensive overview and does not read like an introductory textbook, but rather tries to delve into the main intellectual questions.
David Steyer
Overall I think the author did a good job of trying to explain the law and its various aspects without going into too much case law particular like a law form would be taught. He had his citations and gave a good explanation. If you recall of what a 101 course is in higher (a freshman level course) this volume is sport on and I would recommend.
Collin Clibon
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This volume covers basic cloth covered early in law school in a straightforward and entertaining way. I am applying to police force schoolhouse this year, so I can't speak to this book's effectiveness for previewing 1L material, but I will endorse information technology as a good book for the enthusiastic legal novice. This book covers basic material covered early in law school in a straightforward and entertaining way. I am applying to police force school this year, so I tin can't speak to this book's effectiveness for previewing 1L textile, simply I will endorse it as a proficient book for the enthusiastic legal novice. ...more
Shea Griffin
I hoped it would be better.
Vikas Erraballi
Delivers what it promises
Rui
The dilemma of reading reference book is information technology'due south enjoyable simply not very useful. The dilemma of reading reference book is it's enjoyable but not very useful. ...more than
Narthur157
Actually enjoyable to read despite the topic
Jamie
Is information technology illegal to read a book that relies far too heavily on strings of rhetorical questions? Does the book answer this of import question? Wouldn't you like to know?
Jiji
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Definitely will help me through my learnings
Enrica Garzilli
Useful and kind of funny as well for people who know zip virtually American law.
Andrew Sever
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Actually good an for a book devoted to constabulary easy to read. Highly recommend if you lot are wanting a full general law book
Schenley
Nifty primer on the substantive areas of the America justice system.

News & Interviews

When y'all piece of work at Goodreads, you get a really skilful peek at the books that are about to hit the bookstores. And, well, nosotros get Very Excited about...

Welcome back. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads business relationship.

Login animation

Everything You Need to Know About American Law

Source: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/109525.Law_101

0 Response to "Everything You Need to Know About American Law"

Postar um comentário

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel